A single click on an infected link or an attachment is all it takes for your computer to get a virus. This can slow down your CPU, harm your stored data, and spread among your email contacts through the internet.
Antivirus software and firewalls can be of use only if they are regularly updated. If you have turned off the automatic updates, or if the virus is a very new one, here are a few steps that can minimise the harm:
- Download the latest antivirus updates and run a full system scan. If a virus is detected, follow the instructions given by the antivirus software.
- You can also run the scan in Safe Mode if you cannot boot into Windows.
- If a virus is not detected in the scan, it might be a new virus, the scan might not be running properly, or it might be a different technical problem. In that case, it is best to call in professional computer technicians – like the ComputerZen team.
Meanwhile, there are certain precautions that you can take to prevent spread of the virus and to keep your information as safe as possible:
- Disconnect from your WiFi network to prevent your other devices from getting infected. You are essentially putting your computer in quarantine, just like what you do when you catch a contagious virus.
- Don’t do any online banking or shopping and avoid typing in sensitive information like passwords even from other devices until the virus has been removed.
- Do not send any emails that contain attachments to anyone to avoid spreading the virus.
Preventing further attacks
Once our ComputerZen technicians have removed the virus, it is a good idea to change all relevant passwords, in case they have been stolen. This includes not only your email and ISP passwords, but also the passwords of all sites that you use regularly.
It is also important to learn from your experience and keep your antivirus software and security patches updated regularly. Similarly, make it a practice to create back-ups of your important data on external hard drives or CDs.
Following safe browsing practices – like not clicking on questionable links, not downloading unknown attachments and double-checking before installing new software from unfamiliar sites – is your best defence against viruses and other malware.
For any help with computer repairs in Brisbane including installing antivirus and firewalls or removing a virus and cleaning up your files, call our ComputerZen experts on 1300 266 936.